I read on some posts that the ESP32 comes with a factory firmware to handle AT commands ( and perhaps other tasks? ) so I have a couple of questions:
- When I load a program from the Arduino IDE do I erase / modify the firmware?
- The firmware on the ESP 32 depends of each chip manufacturer or they use a common firmware from Expressif?
- Just in case is it possible to download the factory and latest firmware from Expressif? Does it work for all the ESP32 versions?
- Do you have a guide to update the factory firmware?
Lots of questions in one but better to be safe than sorry.
I thank you in advance for your help Rui, best regards
I don’t think all modules come with the AT firmware. But some ESP32 chips come with the AT commands firmware.
- Yes, when you upload a new sketch using the Arduino IDE, it automatically erases the AT firmware.
- I think they all use firmware provided by Espressif: https://github.com/espressif
- Yes, you can always re-flash the AT firmware to your ESP32 using the official Espressif repository: https://github.com/espressif/esp32-at and it should work with all the versions
- At the moment, I don’t have any instructions on how do to that…
I hope that helps and let me know if you have more questions.