After setting up the Arduino IDE (portable) for a DOIT ESP32 DEVKIT V1 board I noticed an error that displayed every time I compiled and uploaded a sketch:
Invalid library found in C:\arduino-1.8.5-esp32\hardware\espressif\esp32\libraries\BLE: C:\arduino-1.8.5-esp32\hardware\espressif\esp32\libraries\BLE
To fix this error:
- Close all Arduino IDE windows
- Run gitbash
- Change the current directory to <arduino_folder>/hardware/espressif/esp32. c:/arduino-1.8.5-esp32/ is the path to my portable install. Yours may be different
$ cd /c/arduino-1.8.5-esp32/hardware/espressif/esp32/
user@machine MINGW64 /c/arduino-1.8.5-esp32/hardware/espressif/esp32 (master)
- Initialise (download) the sub-modules (BLE library)
$ git submodule update --init
Submodule 'libraries/BLE' (https://github.com/nkolban/ESP32_BLE_Arduino.git) registered for path 'libraries/BLE'
Cloning into 'C:/arduino-1.8.5-esp32/hardware/espressif/esp32/libraries/BLE'...
Submodule path 'libraries/BLE': checked out '6bad7b42a96f0aa493323ef4821a8efb0e8815f2'
user@computer MINGW64 /c/arduino-1.8.5-esp32/hardware/espressif/esp32 (master)
I noticed in some of the ESP32 videos you also have this error.
BTW is there any way to edit posts to the forum?
Sorry about that. As I said in a previous comment, the current Forum system is very limited and enabling editing caused some permission errors (I had to disable it).
I had that error in of the videos, because I’ve manually downloaded the library from GitHub with the download .zip button. Since the BLE library is linked to another repository, it didn’t download correctly causing that error.
However, if you’re on a clean installation and you follow the exact procedure in the course, it should automatically install the BLE library without further changes/tweaks.
Thanks for letting me know about this issue and I’ll try to fix it or point anyone to this thread that has the same problem.
I used the Git Bash command line
git clone https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32.git esp32
which should in theory behave exactly the same as the Git GUI procedure outlined in the course.
If I get a moment I’ll test it with the GUI.
FTW, as I also did a manual install from zips (couldn’t be bothered with git on the win pc I am doing the course on) I just grabbed the zip from https://github.com/nkolban/ESP32_BLE_Arduino/tree/af865a916795289c8e7e09b091ff2140c33fc3fe , unzipped it and moved the contents into the folder
<your arduino files>/hardware/espressif/arduino-esp32/libraries/BLE
Don’t know if this is going to cause BLE problems further down the line, but certainly got rid of err msg.