Hello to everyone,
I’ve almost finished my home automation Webserver, with an ESP32 Webserver (including also AutoConnect and ElegnatOTA). Any client is able to:
- read sensors telemetries, displayed both in charts and tables;
- control actuators;
- configure the threshold values for the automatic control;
- switch on/off the actuators, bypassing the automatic control (for debugging/maintenance purposes);
- Update both the ESP32 and SPIFFS.
As soon as I have time, I will publish a tutorial on this, I think that it is customizable to different application.
I would make it to be accessible from anywhere and, searching online, the only two options seem to be:
- Router port forwarding;
- Use of Ngrok on other service like this.
Considering that some friends ask me to install it in their houses but without any portforwarding, I would like to find a more user-friendly solution. Furthermore, the low cost of Raspberry seems to be a good spot, if it can be easily configure by my friends. AutoConnect and ElegantOTA are two examples of User-Friendly meaning, and I want to find something like this (for the Ngrok configuration, or other solution, if any).
Now, my question:
- is there the possibility to run Ngrok on a Raspberry Pi (connected to home router), in order to make the ESP32 (connected to the same home ruoter) accessible from anywhere?
- if yes, how? Could you suggest me any tutorial (or also some different tutorials that need to be merged)?
- Is there any other way?
Many thanks in advance!
Yes, you can do that. See the “Learn ESP32 with Arduino IDE” eBook on page 179.
I’m not sure if the elegantOTA works using ngrok. I haven’t tried it.
many thanks for the suggestion, I’ve checked your reference but it show how to install Ngrok on an external computer, that must remain on.
I would like to install Ngrok on a Raspberry Pi, with a more “User-friendly” interface than the procedure explained in your tutorial: the goal of my request is to make everyone able to configure the Ngrok tunnel, maybe with a smartphone (as already implemented for the ESP32, with AutoConnect/ElegantOTA).