I think this is my second time around with this tutorial.
I recently decided to re-visit it so I can develop some general-purpose Voice activated devices.
This time I can’t get my echo dot to recognize my 2 devices I have added:
#define DEVICE_1 “device one”
#define DEVICE_2 “device two”
I took your code and eliminated everything not needed for the relay contact closures.
In fact, I don’t have anything connected to the GPIO pins of the ESP32 board.
My goal is to simply see what gets printed on the Serial Monitor when I say “Alexa, turn on device one”.
When I do say that, Alexa says “OK” and I see nothing on the Serial Monitor except the continual “Free heap” reporting.
Whenever I say “Alexa, discover devices”, she reports not finding any new devices.
I currently have several Echo devices and 2 switches to control a fan and a light.
I’m wondering if I’m dealing with an issue here where there are some older libraries in use and I need different versions of some of them.
Is everything in the published tutorial accurate?
At this point, I’m not exactly sure how to proceed.
It’s been a long time since we’ve written that project, and since that, I haven’t tested it again. So, I’m not sure if it’s still working at the moment.
I suggest taking a look at the most recent version of the library and checking some of the most basic examples to see if you get them working.
Thanks for the reply.
I have visited many web sites purporting to show us how to build little useful electronic projects.
Nobody can hold a candle to RNT — they are the BEST!
Since I sent in the post you replied to, I have it working!
I really don’t know how or why it now works but I suspect it was because I had my Amazon Alexa stuff all fouled up.
As I indicated in my original post, I only used the code Rui provided that relates to the Voice control.
Everything else, I eliminated.
Initially, it didn’t work because Alexa couldn’t find the devices I added.
So, after I sent you the initial post, I basically ripped out everything Alexa knew about.
That is, all my other devices (printers, switches and anything else except the other Alexa smart speakers like my other Echo dots and the Echo). (I have an Echo and 3 Dots)
I’m convinced that I had Alexa totally confused through all my screwing around before and during my efforts to get this project working.
It now works every time I play with it and so I’m now in a position to make some practical use of it!
BTW, I did try various versions of the fauxmoESP library, but I don’t think that had any real impact.
Thanks as always for the fine work you and Rui do — I’m a really big fan!